What will children learn?At Thundersley Primary School, we aim to inspire pupils’ curiosity and fascination about the world around them through the medium of modern foreign languages. We do this primarily through a high-quality French curriculum, which allows the children to learn to converse, read and write. We speak and listen to French during our school day with specific subject time dedicated to also learning to read and write the language. We ensure children are aware of the cultural diversity of the customs and traditions across the French-speaking world.
How will children learn?
At Thundersley Primary School, we will achieve this by:
- Teaching stimulating French lessons.
- Learning and perfecting vocabulary, building on vocabulary learnt in previous years.
- Providing opportunities to practise French regularly.
- Ensuring that every child can fully engage and challenge their thinking.
- Providing opportunities for children to explore new places through exploration.
- Progressive grammar – each year building on the previous learning.
- Inviting speakers to talk about their careers using their language skills.
- Celebrating Multicultural Week and understanding that we are more similar than different across the world.
What will children achieve?
By the time our children complete their journey at Thundersley Primary School they will:
- Be able to converse in French.
- Understand how to read French.
- Possess the ability to write simple French sentences.
- Have opportunities to engage with native French speakers.
- Aspirations to visit French speaking countries across the world.
- Understand the similarities and differences between French-speaking cultures in our world.